Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

Ignacio Romo Leon
10-20-36
to
08-24-1997


At his desk at the police department
His favorite place in the whole world, his ranch.

My 14th birthday party.
In this picture, you can see his cattle brand on his belt buckle. It was 4R because he registered it years before I was born. I was so jealous, I wanted him to change it to 5R and he couldn't because once you register a brand you can't change it.


My Quinceanera
11-19-1988


My Debutante Ball
04-1989
(yes, that is Buddy with me)

My high school graduation


My wedding
08-14-1993


My Daddy...

On this Friday, I find myself filled with so much sadness for the loss of my father. I know that I have posted on this before, but as I was looking through pictures for Flashback Friday, I came across so many pictures of him. I knew that I was meant to dedicate this Flashback Friday to him.

Now that I am all grown and have kids of my own, I realize that there really is no Cinderella and that prince charming doesn't exist. Not in the fairy tale sense of the word, at least. As a child, I really did grow up believing in fairy tales and that my Papi was my prince charming. I promised him to never get married and live with my parents forever. (I was about eight) By the time I was five, I was an only child. My sisters were out of the house and living their own lives.

My Papi was successful by the time I came around. And with only one child really, I was treated like a princess. Even my sisters will attest to this. Except I think they have another word for it. He was the most giving man I have ever known. He would give the shirt off his back and then some. He always helped the families of his workers. And my mom would buy them Christmas gifts and clothes. He even paid for two Quinceaneras for the daughters of his rancher. We would go to the poorest schools and he would give the children Christmas stockings and bags with fruit and nuts. I would go and help him pass these out. I used to cry on our way home. It would make me so sad. He was so humble and he cared so much about the people that lived in his region. He was President of an organization that provided lots to people so that they could build homes on. He was elected for back to back terms. He was also the assistant Chief of Police of the town. And had his cattle business.

My one regret, and I live with this everyday. I'm sure my sisters do as well. He had always asked to be laid to rest in Mexico, that was his home. We were selfish and wanted him close to us, so we went against his wishes and laid him to rest in Douglas. My mom let us make the decision and I wish I could go back and change it. On the day of his funeral, there were hundreds of people lined up along the border of Mexico waiting for the funeral procession to pass. We had said that we would do that for them at least. On the day of the funeral, the police did not allow us to go outside of the funeral route, and people waited there in vain. I'm sure it was all of the people that he had helped and were unable to cross the border to attend his services. That only went to show, just how much he was loved.

I think that I am who I am today because of him. I try to be as giving as he was. I don't know how to say no, because he never said no to anyone. As much as I miss him, I am sad for the people that never got to know him and never had help from him to realize their dreams of having a home, or working for him on his ranch, because his employees were like family to him. He had just hired a new rancher and his family lived in the ranchers quarters of the ranch. I'm sad for the little boys that found him in his truck the morning of his death. Sad because he would have been so good to them and now who knows how they live. His ranch still belongs to our family, but I have never stepped foot there again. I just can't, it would never be the same. It took me seven years to even ride a horse again.


Kai and Nachito,
I hope this answers a lot of questions for you, as you know that I have a hard time talking about your tata and I can only answer your questions a little at a time. And Nachito, even though your name is hard to spell and to pronounce, know that you are named after someone who would have loved you so much.

Comments

Erica said…
So sweet!
More Than Words said…
Neisha...he sounds like the best father & friend to others!!!! You have been blessed to have been able to have that relationship with him!!!!!!

HUGS!!!!
alicia

Popular posts from this blog

vous êtes conviés

Here are pictures of the invitations for Kassie's 13th Birthday party. I had so much fun making them. Hum...maybe because I used my three favorite colors, maybe because I like to make invitations, or maybe it's just because I LOVE to plan parties. Either way, here is a sneak peak. Sorry the pictures are so bad, my camera is dead and I used my phone.

Good things come to those who wait...

I was having one of those bad Mondays. One of those Mondays when everything seems to be going wrong. 1. Our phones at the office are not working. 2. Statements went out over the weekend and angry patients are calling to complain. 3. My coffee got cold and I had to throw it away, and now I have a caffeine headache. 4. My cell phone has been tied up all day because I'm having our calls forwarded to it. (good thing for rollover minutes). 5. My boss has just added two more things to my darker pink "TODO" notebook. And just as I was about to roll up in a ball and hide under my desk, I got this e-mail. Dear Kindle Customer, Today, we introduced Kindle 2, the next generation of our wireless reading device. Because you already ordered the original Kindle and are awaiting its arrival, we're pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your order so that you will receive the new Kindle 2. You will be in the first group to receive Kindle 2, and you will receive yours as soon as K

Where do I begin???

After a long absence from my blog, I am finally sitting down to post. So much has happened in the past month that I honestly don't know where to begin. December 23, 2009 turned my world upside down. My mom suffered a minor heart attack, and was taken by ambulance to Chandler Regional Hospital. When I arrived, she was in good shape, and she was talking. They ordered a CT Scan of her chest. When she got back to the ER from her test, every thing that could have gone wrong, did. She suffered another heart attack, this one was much worse. She was in-tubated and things were not looking very good for her. The next few days were spent waiting for tests to be run, consulting with Dr.s and praying. A lot of praying. We were finally told that she would need to undergo a quadruple bypass. There was a problem with that, because she was in critical condition. Her kidneys were failing, her blood pressure was to high, as was her blood sugar. And, she was to weak. The surgeon said that we would