Skip to main content

New Solo

Finding a song for Kai's new solo was a bit challenging this year. Holly and I had discussed it quite frequently. This would be her first solo in the Teen division. I had asked Holly for a Latin piece and she looked and looked for music and didn't find anything that she liked. Then she was thinking that Chantilly Lace had suited her well. She liked the old 50's band music on Kai.

She decided on Great Balls of Fire. We liked it. My only hiccup was that in my eyes, the costume had to be red.....again. Her Chantilly Lace costume was red. With a name like Great Balls of Fire, what other color would I use. I figured I could be creative with it.

Then, on the night before Holly was going to start her solo, she called me and said that she had downloaded every single version of Great Balls of Fire, and she didn't like any of them. The ones she liked, were to short and the ones that were longer, she didn't like. She was stuck. I thought that she would cancel her private for the next day until she found new music.

The next morning, she text me and said she hadn't found music, but to go ahead and send Kai to the private. About an half an hour into the private, Holly text me that she had found music, and that she thought I was really going to like it. She was splicing two versions of the song together. The original and the remix. She drove to my office and I jumped in her car to listen to the music. I was HAPPY.....VERY HAPPY. The only thing that she didn't like, was the name of it. It was called the The Mexican 'Dance Dance'. She thought it was to long of a name. She changed the name of it to "Baila".

I was HAPPY for many reasons.

1. It was Latin
2. It was Thalia (I grew up listening to Thalia ever since she was in Timbiriche way before she married Tommy Mottola).
3. It had a Ballroom/Jazz/Techno feel.
4. A Latin inspired costume with gross after gross of Swarovski's ran through my brain. I'm thinking at least 40 gross at the very least.

These four points made me very happy, and the next day I was on the hunt for some ballroom costume ideas. I went on to some ballroom costume sites and I ended up on the site for the designer from Dancing with the Stars. I found this costume below, and I loved it.



I decided to make a few changes to it, but mostly in the skirt and colors. Rather than spreading out the rhinestones all over the costume, I am making a design that comes down the front, and then adding the rhinestones all around. Initially Holly wanted her to use ballroom heels for the dance, but then with all the leaps in it, she decided not to. I can't say that I was to disappointed, I had started pricing those shoes and I couldn't find a pair under $140. Phew!

Holly did finish her solo, and it is now in the major cleaning phase. It is so fast and hard, that I had to go record it in sections. Below is a video of her last private and the end of the dance. This was filmed after she had already done it for over an hour. Not that I'm making excuses, but she was real tired, and Holly had just added in the last four eight counts.


I don't think she will compete this one to much until Nationals. Most likely DMA and maybe KAR. She really has a lot of work to do on it before she can get it on stage. In the mean time, I will start ordering rhinestones and do what I know how to do...her costume. The dancing is up to her, Holly and whoever else I may have to hire to help her clean it.

Comments

Jaime G. Fryer said…
My niece is learning her solo for this year to Great Balls of Fire! I love Kai's new Latin song!! The routine is going to be so upbeat and fun! Make sure to post a video when it is ready for competition.

I judged Alyssa P. (from Kai's studio) this past month in a Cinderella Pageant. I was talking to her Mom after the pageant and I told her I knew you!

Popular posts from this blog

vous êtes conviés

Here are pictures of the invitations for Kassie's 13th Birthday party. I had so much fun making them. Hum...maybe because I used my three favorite colors, maybe because I like to make invitations, or maybe it's just because I LOVE to plan parties. Either way, here is a sneak peak. Sorry the pictures are so bad, my camera is dead and I used my phone.

Good things come to those who wait...

I was having one of those bad Mondays. One of those Mondays when everything seems to be going wrong. 1. Our phones at the office are not working. 2. Statements went out over the weekend and angry patients are calling to complain. 3. My coffee got cold and I had to throw it away, and now I have a caffeine headache. 4. My cell phone has been tied up all day because I'm having our calls forwarded to it. (good thing for rollover minutes). 5. My boss has just added two more things to my darker pink "TODO" notebook. And just as I was about to roll up in a ball and hide under my desk, I got this e-mail. Dear Kindle Customer, Today, we introduced Kindle 2, the next generation of our wireless reading device. Because you already ordered the original Kindle and are awaiting its arrival, we're pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your order so that you will receive the new Kindle 2. You will be in the first group to receive Kindle 2, and you will receive yours as soon as K

Where do I begin???

After a long absence from my blog, I am finally sitting down to post. So much has happened in the past month that I honestly don't know where to begin. December 23, 2009 turned my world upside down. My mom suffered a minor heart attack, and was taken by ambulance to Chandler Regional Hospital. When I arrived, she was in good shape, and she was talking. They ordered a CT Scan of her chest. When she got back to the ER from her test, every thing that could have gone wrong, did. She suffered another heart attack, this one was much worse. She was in-tubated and things were not looking very good for her. The next few days were spent waiting for tests to be run, consulting with Dr.s and praying. A lot of praying. We were finally told that she would need to undergo a quadruple bypass. There was a problem with that, because she was in critical condition. Her kidneys were failing, her blood pressure was to high, as was her blood sugar. And, she was to weak. The surgeon said that we would