Skip to main content
I created a widget to countdown the day until Kai's Quinceañera on my sidebar. I haven't had the heart to take it down yet. Just like I haven't had the heart to cancel the church, the reception site, the 14 person live band and 8 person mariachi. I haven't even canceled the block of rooms that are saved at the hotel yet either.


Maybe I'm hoping for a miracle, but it's not looking very good for us. After all of the debating about whether to make her a Quinceañera, she finally agreed to let us plan her one. She knew how much my mom wanted her to have one.


Then there was the decision to make. Phoenix, or Douglas? Buddy wanted it in Phoenix, I wanted it in Douglas. Obviously our families wanted it in Douglas. So, we finally agreed. It would be in Douglas, at the church that we were married at, and the reception at the Douglas Country Club.


In September, I made a special trip to Douglas to sign the contract for both the church and the Country Club. My sister and I spent an hour measuring tables, dance floor, walls and figuring out the layout. I went to Mexico for an afternoon and spoke to one of the most popular florists and discussed colors and ideas. I took pictures and had my handy dandy "binder" with me.


The following weekend, we made an appointment at Suzanne's Bridal for Kai to find her dress. She looked around, found one that she fell in love with, and she didn't want to try anymore on. She decided that it was the one. Are you sure I asked? She said YES! So, we bought the dress.


Things were coming along just fine. My brain went into David Tutera mode, and ideas were bouncing out of my head like crazy.


The theme: Woodland Fairy, minus the fairies. Everyone understood. Forest looking, lots of greenery, trees, and tons of flowers. Just no fairies in sight. I was giving them the day off.


The colors: Deep plum and Orchid


I put together an information packet for the 14 friends that Kai was going to ask to be a part of her party. I had already spoken to all of the moms, and they were all willing to make the drive down to Douglas.


Buddy was going to rent a party bus to drive her and all her friends to Douglas, and they would drive back home with their parents.


The night before we handed out the packets, Kai asked to talk to us. She was very serious. She started by saying how grateful she was that we were willing to do this for her. She said the more and more she thought about it, she didn't really want it. She said that she realized how much it was going to cost, and that she would rather use that money for something else.


She had been researching Summer programs at FIT in New York, and that she would rather do that. She said that she wants to go to school there, and that if she starts taking the Summer courses her chances of being accepted are better. She also enjoyed her Summer at the dance intensive so much, she wanted to continue to do that as well.


Needless to say, we were shocked. We had already put down deposits. And then of course the dress. There really wasn't much we could say. We accepted, and in shock I called my mom and sisters.


During Christmas, everyone tried to change her mind, and I mean everyone. She just wouldn't budge. As of last week, my mom was still trying to make her budge, and nothing. We finally conceded that we can not make her do something that she doesn't want to do.


As much as it saddens me, it's time for some phone calls this week. Fortunately, they were waiting to order the dress just in case she grew a little. We can't get our deposit back, but we do get a store credit. So, I guess Homecoming and formal dresses will be free for a while. : )



This is the dress we had picked for her 14 friends to wear. It is gorgeous!! We were even going to do the plumb flowers in the hair.

And...............



This was THE dress. I absolutely loved it. It was so Kai. So simple, and yet elegant. Not to puffy, or straight. Awww, makes me so sad to see it.


So, because Kai chose to not have this big blowout, Buddy gets one heck of a 40th Birthday Bash!!! Lucky for him I just might know how to plan one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

vous êtes conviés

Here are pictures of the invitations for Kassie's 13th Birthday party. I had so much fun making them. Hum...maybe because I used my three favorite colors, maybe because I like to make invitations, or maybe it's just because I LOVE to plan parties. Either way, here is a sneak peak. Sorry the pictures are so bad, my camera is dead and I used my phone.

Good things come to those who wait...

I was having one of those bad Mondays. One of those Mondays when everything seems to be going wrong. 1. Our phones at the office are not working. 2. Statements went out over the weekend and angry patients are calling to complain. 3. My coffee got cold and I had to throw it away, and now I have a caffeine headache. 4. My cell phone has been tied up all day because I'm having our calls forwarded to it. (good thing for rollover minutes). 5. My boss has just added two more things to my darker pink "TODO" notebook. And just as I was about to roll up in a ball and hide under my desk, I got this e-mail. Dear Kindle Customer, Today, we introduced Kindle 2, the next generation of our wireless reading device. Because you already ordered the original Kindle and are awaiting its arrival, we're pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your order so that you will receive the new Kindle 2. You will be in the first group to receive Kindle 2, and you will receive yours as soon as K

Where do I begin???

After a long absence from my blog, I am finally sitting down to post. So much has happened in the past month that I honestly don't know where to begin. December 23, 2009 turned my world upside down. My mom suffered a minor heart attack, and was taken by ambulance to Chandler Regional Hospital. When I arrived, she was in good shape, and she was talking. They ordered a CT Scan of her chest. When she got back to the ER from her test, every thing that could have gone wrong, did. She suffered another heart attack, this one was much worse. She was in-tubated and things were not looking very good for her. The next few days were spent waiting for tests to be run, consulting with Dr.s and praying. A lot of praying. We were finally told that she would need to undergo a quadruple bypass. There was a problem with that, because she was in critical condition. Her kidneys were failing, her blood pressure was to high, as was her blood sugar. And, she was to weak. The surgeon said that we would